Saturday, April 30, 2011

inspired to draw


There's something about inspiring creativity in your little one that motivates you to try new creative ventures yourself.  I think that's a beautiful thing. I love that my munchkin inspires me to be a better person. That's the exact reason why I've found myself learning to draw. 

I went to Joann's last night to pick up some extra watercolor paintbrushes for Chase and ran into this cute little book.  I love embarking on crafty projects, but I can't draw or paint for the life of me.   I would love to learn though so I can draw some fun pictures for Chase.  This cute note from the author was enough to inspire me to give it a try.

She writes, "They say that 'learning' begins by 'imitating,' so I have filled this book with a lot of illustrations that you can draw by copying (...) Work at your own pace, when you want, where you want. But whatever you do, try your hand at creating a whole bunch of really cute drawings, OK?" 

Hmmm...learn to draw by copying...I think I can do that. 


The book provides easy step by step instructions to draw a ton of the cutest little animals. The author does a great job breaking down each picture into smaller manageable pieces. She made it so simple to draw such ADORABLE animals!


Here's what I've drawn so far. The little koala in the corner is by Paul, who couldn't resist getting in on the action.  I didn't realize how satisfying drawing these would be considering I was copying someone else's art work, but it really did make me super happy! I'm now feeling inspired to draw the rest of the pictures in this cute little book.  When I'm done, I might even pick up the author's other book.  


I'm most excited to share my drawings with my little guy. He's recently developed a fondness for animals thanks to our Farmers' Market trips and recent visit to the zoo. Eep..I can't wait to show him! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment