Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Dinosaur Book and Sensory Bin

I mentioned yesterday that Chase's current favorite bedtime story is How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night.  It was gifted to him by his Ninang Ruby, his Godmother. He looks forward to reading it every night and often wants to read it multiple times.  I discovered last week that he's actually memorized quite a few lines. It's so awesome to watch him 'read to himself.' He has a little twinkle in his eyes when he reads because he's well aware of me watching him in awe. I love this age. :) 

To extend his learning, I embarked on creating some dinosaur related activities, starting with this sensory bin. 

What it contains: 

  • 3-4 (?) small bags of small rocks (Dollar Tree) and 1 small bag of medium sized river rocks (Michael's). 
  • 3 mini plastic dinosaurs (Party City).
  • 2 wind up dinosaurs (Dollar Tree) - I ended up taking these out because he can't wind these up on his own quite yet. 
  • 2 rubber monster finger puppets (Target). I tried to get away with passing them off as dinosaurs, but I don't think he bought it. He's even smarter than I thought. ;)
  • 2 trees, which I made out of popsicle sticks, felt and fabric glue.
  • Leaves pulled from a fake plant (Dollar Tree). 
What he's done with it and what he's learning: 
  • Stands/balances the trees in the rocks, then knocks them over so he can do it all over again
  • Buries the leaves and dinosaurs with rocks using a scooper or his hands
  • Scoops rocks into bowls and other containers, then transfers them back into the bin 
  • Plays with the finger puppets and uses them to tickle me
We ended the night walking around on all fours roaring and pretending to be dinosaurs. He loved this! Stay tuned because I'll be sharing other dinosaur activities soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment