Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Favorite Books

Lately, I've been finding Chase on the floor flipping through a book on his lap. Sometimes, he's simply looking through pictures. Other times, he's 'reading' to himself by recalling lines we've read together.  I love looking at the genuine interest and focus on his face as he inspects each page.  It's my favorite form of 'play' that I love finding him do.  I often wonder what he's thinking as he looks at the pages. 


I thought it would be fun to share some of our favorite books (past and present).  Some we both love (great story, characters, pictures, rhyming, etc.) and some I simply love because he loves them. 


Here's the roundup, in the order as they appear in the picture above (sequenced by size of the book): 
  • First Look and Find, Let's Look! - Baby Einstein: I love the rhythm of the lines in Baby Einstein books. 
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night? - Jane Yolen & Mark Teague: His current FAVORITE bedtime story. We read this many times every night. He loves reciting several of the lines. He's a genius! ;) This was gifted by Ninang (Godmother) Ruby. 
  • Violet's House - Baby Einstein: This is a GREAT touch and feel book.  He loved this since he was a baby and still does.
  • First 100 Words - Bright Baby:  He hasn't opened this one in a couple of months, but he used to love looking at the pictures.  I would ask him to show him 'x' and he would proudly point at the corresponding picture. This was a great book to help him practice matching words to objects/pictures.
  • My Big Truck Book - Roger Priddy: This book has been a favorite for a long time.  It's basically an large picture book of various trucks. He inspects each page carefully.  I'm often amazed at names he remembers like "telephone tuck" for telephone line truck. 
  • I'm Going to be the Best Superhero Ever! - Moira Butterfield: This is a recent love. I got it for $3 from Joanns (score!). I absolutely love the lines in this book and have fun hamming it up when reading it to Chase.  
  • The Very Busy Spider - Eric Carle: Chase likes this book most when we incorporate different animal toys to correspond with the animals that visit the Spider in this story.  
  • Corduroy - Don Freeman: This was our previous favorite bedtime story.  There's a scene in the book where the security guard is looking for the bear in the department store. Chase loved pretending to walk around with a flashlight when we got to that part in the book. 
  • The Very Lazy Ladybug - Isobel Finn: Simply because he loves lady bugs. :)
  • Olivia - Ian Falconer: Such a cute story. 
  • My Very Own ABCs - Maia Haag: A personalized book gifted by Ninang (Godmother) Ruby
  • A House for Hermit Crab - Eric Carle: Love most Eric Carle books
  • Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See? - Eric Carle
  • From Head to Toe - Eric Carle
  • The Very Hungry Caterpillar - Eric Carle
  • Good Night Moon - Margaret Wise Brown
  • My World: A Companion to Goodnight Moon - Margaret Wise
[Top Row Right]

No comments:

Post a Comment