Friday, September 9, 2011

I Want to Remember this Summer's Getty Trips

When I look back later at these days with you as a toddler and us as newish parents...

I want to remember our two trips to the Getty this summer to check out their Garden Concerts.  
I want to remember that these days you're all about your cereal snacks.  I want to remember that they kept you plenty occupied while we waited in line to ride the 'train' up the hill to the Getty. 


I want to remember that you love to be 'kawa' aka carried and will ask for this pretty frequently.  


I want to remember the awesome bands that we saw.  I want to remember how much energy they had.


I want to remember how many people were there before us and how that was okay because we went straight to the foot of the stage because we wanted to dance!


I want to remember how it takes you a little while to warm up to new surroundings.  I want to remember the look on your face while you take it all in - how focused you look.  I want to remember how much I love that look because I love to see you thinking.  


I want to remember that after you warm up, you're a different boy - one without inhibitions.  


I want to remember that you always ask to take off your own shoes when you see another boy or girl walking around barefoot.  I want to remember how excited you get when this happens.  I want to remember that you asked me to take off my shoes when you saw another mommy without theirs.  


I want to remember how you danced and danced and danced and danced.  I want to remember how much you love music and how much you love to dance. 


I want to remember how happy I felt to see you having so much fun.  I want to remember how happy I felt to know that you were comfortable enough to dance with other kids you didn't know.  


I want to remember how happy I felt that you were having this experience.  


I want to remember the atmosphere - the perfect weather, the great music, the energetic bands, the other cute kids running around, the lovely blankets that the Getty provided for everyone to sit on, the green grass that felt cool to sit on...


I want to remember our picnic dinner after the concert on our second visit.  I want to remember how much you love fruit and bread and carbs and how I have to remind you to eat the rest of your meals. 


I want to remember how you gravitate towards other people having fun.  I want to remember you following other kids around because you heard them laughing.  I want to remember you running up and down the hill and touching this wall because that's what other kids were doing. 


I want to remember you deciding to roll down the hill because you saw other kids doing it.  I want to remember how much I loved that you did that.




I want to remember that I love watching you observe and that I often wonder what you're thinking about. 


I want to remember that we made these masks at the Getty after the concert.  I want to remember that you look at them often at home and say "Chase made this one. Mommy made this one." I want to remember how proud I am every time I hear you say this.  


I want to remember how much I love you and how much joy you bring me and your dad. I love you, Chase! 


No comments:

Post a Comment